Architect: Holabird, Root & Burgee
Address: 5801 S. Ellis Ave.
Edward H. Levi Hall, built in 1948, became the University's first foray in the modern direction. Intended to meet a long-standing need to consolidate offices for the president and other institutional managers, it continues to meet that need today.
Gothic designs for the building were floated, but progressive critics were quick to deride the medieval template as obsolete and expensive. While the Edward H. Levi Hall became the largest structure on the quads at the time, it was also the one with the least detail, inside and out. Still, the building does have luxuriant ivy and is framed by colorful landscaping that has been designated as a botanic garden.