Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Address: 1100 E. 57th St.
Known for its Brutalist architecture and central campus location, Regenstein Library has served as a key part of student life since its opening in 1970.
Boasting 577,085 square feet, Regenstein is the largest library on campus. The reinforced concrete building features seven stories and a mechanical penthouse. It utilizes compact shelving on its B-level to maximize its storage capacities and house its diverse collections. The outer wall of the library projects and recedes, creates partial courtyards, and introduces the play of light and shadow in the manner of Gothic architecture.