Architect: Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge
Address: 5706 S. University Ave.
The Tower Group is a cluster of buildings around the northeast corner of the quadrangles, which differs from other more practical early campus buildings because it began with a faithful reproduction of historical elements. Hutchinson Commons incorporates much of the massing and detail of Oxford’s Christ Church College. Next to the commons, Mitchell Tower represents a version of the tower at Magdalen College, completed in 1509. The Reynolds Clubhouse is adjacent to both buildings, constructed in the image of another Oxford model, St. John’s College, which was built in the 1400s.
Mandel Hall was renovated in 2013 to maximize its functionality for student and professional performances. The building was initially constructed as a chapel and assembly hall. The renovation reflects the ways in which University buildings are restructured and reimagined to suit the needs of students and community members over time.